Centinela Hospital Medical Center’s experienced clinical pharmacists are an integral part of a patient’s medical team. The Pharmacy Department provides safe, comprehensive and progressive pharmaceutical services of the highest quality in order to maximize care for our patients, both adults and infants. Our pharmacists work together with your attending physician and care team to evaluate your drug allergies, nutritional restrictions and general medical condition to determine the pharmaceutical solutions most beneficial to your recovery.
We offer technologically advanced pharmaceutical dispensing and monitoring systems, partnered with the individualized care and focus of a community hospital. We take the time to consider your individual needs before prescribing any medication.
For further information, contact us at 310-673-4660.
The hospital has installed a medication management system designed to improve collaboration between pharmacists and nurses. The Pyxis MedStations also contain features intended to increase patient safety and speed the delivery of drugs to patients. The system electronically generates patient medication lists and can display the status of orders in the pharmacy’s electronic order. It also has advanced reporting capabilities and warning systems that alert clinicians to potential medical errors prior to dispensing medications. Utilizing Pyxis, we ensure that you receive your medication on time and in the correct order.
Did You Know
The increasing use of herbal products should raise a warning flag for those who take them. Users of prescription medications need to be especially careful when adding herbal supplements to their health regime. There are several implications of herbal supplements that need to to be understood when considering their use.
- There is a very real risk of drug interactions from the use of herbal supplements. To reduce this risk, patients should always tell their health care providers about all medications, both prescription and herbal.
- The purity of herbal supplements are neither regulated or guaranteed. You should look for products produced by reputable companies only. Some herbal supplements have been found to be contaminated with steroids, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, metal and toxic plants.
- The effectiveness of many herbal supplements have not been demonstrated. Anecdotal evidence is often used by manufacturers rather than the use of clinical trials.
- Herbal supplements can be misused. They should only be used in the recommended quantities and with approval of a physician.
- Interactions between herbal supplements and prescription medications may not be known. Little scientific testing has been done in this area, therefore it is best not to use herbals in conjunction with prescription medications.
- Seek medical attention for serious medical problems. Some seniors may be foregoing more effective pharmacological treatments and instead use herbal remedies that have no clinical efficacy.
There are several herbal remedies that have been proven to be effective for some conditions, but the best way to stay safe and healthy is through education. Before you take any herbal supplements, consult your physician or pharmacist. Make intelligent and informed choices about your health.